Dual Control: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Dual Control provides extra security and control by requiring 2 people to approve an action. When Dual Control is enabled, a single user can initiate an action, but a second user is required to approve it.
If you don't see this feature in your account, an Administrator user can contact Customer Support to request to enable the feature!
- Why do I need Dual Control?
- How do I know if my account is eligible for Dual Control?
- Is there a charge for this feature?
- How do I enable this feature?
- What actions are covered by Dual Control?
- How many approvers are required for each action?
- Can I assign specific people to approve certain actions?
- Does selecting specific approvers or all approvers mean that approval is required by everyone?
- How are approvers notified?
- How do I respond to these notifications?
- What happens when I approve a request?
- What happens if I deny an action?
- Can I resubmit the request if it's been denied?
- Do request expire?
- Can I disable Dual Control?
Why do I need Dual Control?
Dual Control separates duties but keeps control because a single user can’t perform conflicting tasks. Requiring 2 people creates a system of checks and balances, and helps reduce the possibility of fraud.
Key benefits of Dual Control:
- Keeps control while ensuring key actions are protected through an additional approval.
- Reduces the risk of fraud by requiring 2 users to complete a transaction.
- Decreases errors by requiring a second user to review actions before they’re submitted.
How do I know if my account is eligible for Dual Control?
Dual Control is available to our customers who sync with Sage Intacct, Oracle Netsuite, or Quickbooks Enterprise.
Is there a charge for this feature?
There’s no added fee for Dual Control.
How do I enable this feature?
Administrators can enable the feature by following these steps:
- Select Settings
- Select Dual Control under Permissions
- Select Get Started
If you don't see the Dual Control link on your Settings page, an Administrator user can contact Customer Support to request to enable the feature.
What actions are covered by Dual Control?
- Adding bank accounts (in accounts payable and accounts receivable)
- Adding or changing vendor bank accounts
- User management
- Adding, updating, deleting users
- Changing a user’s role
- Editing permissions on custom user roles
How many approvers are required for each action?
Each action requires 2 assigned approvers.
Can I assign specific people to approve certain actions?
Yes, you can choose specific team members to approve certain actions. But all approvers must have Dual Control permission. You can also make it simple and select Assign all as approvers. That means all users with Dual Control permission will be assigned as approvers.
All Administrators have Dual Control permission.
Does selecting specific approvers or all approvers mean that approval is required by everyone?
While all approvers on the list are notified, only 1 person needs to approve the request to complete the action. Assigning multiple approvers only provides additional options.
How are approvers notified?
Approvers on the list are notified via emails and in-app alerts sent to their to-do list.
How do I respond to these notifications?
If you’re responding to the email, simply choose the link in the email. You'll go to the Key CashFlow page with the details about the request, who requested it, and any other information. You can either approve or decline the action. You can also share additional notes.
What happens when I approve a request?
If you’re the first person to approve the request, the action will be approved and confirmed, and both the initiator and other approvers will be notified.
What happens if I deny an action?
Similarly, if you deny the request, you can ask questions and tag the requestor for answers, and the requestor and other approvers will be notified.
Can I resubmit the request if it's been denied?
Yes, there’s no limit to the number of times a request can be resubmitted after being denied.
Do requests expire?
No, the request will be active until it’s approved.
Can I disable Dual Control?
Contact Customer Support to disable it.
Account Setup View all
Making Payments View all
Get Paid (Receivables) View all
QuickBooks Online View all
QuickBooks for Windows View all
NetSuite / Intacct View Intacct View NetSuite