Manage sync preferences
The Sync Preferences determine where transactions will post in the accounting software. After connecting the sync, it's important to adjust the Sync Preferences to ensure that the sync functions properly. To review Sync Preferences in Key CashFlow:
- Select Settings
- Select Preferences under Sync
- Sync Automatically
- Sync Only Approved Bills and Vendor Credits
- Enable 1-Way Transactions Sync (Sage Intacct, Quickbooks Online, and Xero only)
- Enable 2-Way AP Payment Sync (Quickbooks Online only)
- For Offline Payments
- Move Transactions To Quickbooks (Quickbooks Desktop Only)
- Accounts Payable Account
- Unallocated Expenses Account
- Unallocated Income Account
- Default Bank Account
- Deposit To Account
- Funds Transfer Location
- Funds Transfer Department
- Funds Transfer Journal Symbol
- GL Account for Bank Account ****XXXX
- Master in Case of Conflict
Note: The Sync Preferences will differ based on the accounting software and modules enabled in Key CashFlow.
Checking this box ensures that the sync is run at least once daily. However, the sync can always be run more often manually via the Sync Now button and it won't affect the automatic sync. Note: This feature isn't available for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Auto sync doesn't run on Saturdays. In preparation for the work week, the automatic sync will run late Sunday night or early Monday morning.
- This feature isn't available for QuickBooks Desktop.
Sync Only Approved Bills and Vendor Credits
- Checking this box allows only those bills that have been fully Approved in Key CashFlow to sync to the accounting software. Bills in Assigned, Approving, Denied, or Unassigned status will not sync to the accounting software.
- Once enabled, this preference cannot be changed. It should only be enabled if using an approval process for every bill/vendor credit in Key CashFlow and don't require the ability to report on unapproved payables in the accounting software.
- This setting is only available for cloud accounting platforms, therefore it isn't available for QuickBooks Desktop
Enable 1-Way Transactions Sync (Sage Intacct, Quickbooks Online, and Xero only)
- Checking this box prevents transactions from syncing to Key CashFlow from your accounting software.
- This only applies to bills/invoices and payments. List items (vendors, accounts, customers, etc) will still sync 2 ways.
- This change is irreversible and your account cannot be changed back to 2 way at any point in the future.
Enable 2-Way AP Payment Sync (Quickbooks Online only)
- This setting is available to new non-direct accounts such as console accounts and accounts created before 9/15/17
- 2 way AP payment sync is automatically enabled for direct accounts created after 9/15/17.
Note: Once enabled, you can't disable 2-way sync
For Offline Payments
This setting controls whether or not the checkbox to sync offline payments is checked by default or not, when you mark a bill as paid outside of Key CashFlow.
If you select Do not sync for this preference, the Sync to accounting software checkbox will be unchecked by default. You can still check the box if you do want an offline payment to sync.
Alternatively, if you select Enter check or ref # for this preference, the Sync to accounting software checkbox will be checked by default. You can still uncheck the box if you do not want an offline payment to sync.
Move Transactions To Quickbooks (Quickbooks Desktop Only)
This setting controls syncing of transactions from Key CashFlow to Quickbooks Desktop.
Accounts Payable Account
- Key CashFlow syncs to a single Accounts Payable account used to track outstanding bills in the accounting software.
- Accepted account type: Accounts Payable
Unallocated Expenses Account
- If an expense account isn't specified on a bill, the account selected for this preference will serve as a catch-all in the accounting software, to look for bills that need to be coded. Common accounts used include Ask my Accountant, Miscellaneous, Uncategorized Expense, or Other Expense.
- Accepted account types: Expense, Other Expense
Unallocated Income Account
- If an item or income account isn't specified on an invoice, the account selected for this preference will serve as a catch-all in the accounting software, to look for invoices that need to be coded. Examples of the common income account types selected, include Uncategorized Income or Suspense accounts.
- Accepted account type: Income
Default Bank Account
- When marking a bill as paid outside of Key CashFlow, this preference serves as the default payment account.
- Accepted account type: Bank
Deposit To Account
- This preference sets the default account for posting offline payments received in the accounting software. It's recommended that the Undeposited Funds account be selected here so that payments are automatically grouped together in one account and available to be deposited in the future.
- Accepted account types: Bank, Other Current Asset
Funds Transfer Location
An optional preference only available for Sage Intacct and Oracle NetSuite configurations. Specify the location that funds transfers should sync to in the accounting software. For Sage Intacct multi-entity configurations, select the location ID that corresponds with the Sage Intacct entity the account is syncing to.
Funds Transfer Department
An optional preference only available for Sage Intacct and Oracle NetSuite configurations. Specify the department that funds transfers should sync to in the accounting software.
Funds Transfer Journal Symbol
Specific to Sage Intacct configurations. For this preference, enter the symbol of the journal to which Key CashFlow funds transfer should post. This is most commonly the Cash Disbursements Journal in Sage Intacct, with a symbol of either CD or CDJ.
GL Account for Bank Account ****XXXX
- For this preference, select the GL account associated with the bank account listed in the preference name.
- Accepted account type: Bank
Note: Each time a new bank account is enrolled, a new preference will be created for that bank account. Edit sync preferences to select the appropriate GL for any newly added bank accounts.
Master in Case of Conflict
This set of preferences controls edits made to list objects, one system's edits would override the updates made in the other system. It's recommended to select the system in which that particular list or transaction type will be maintained the majority of the time. This preference doesn't limit the sync to one side over the other; the ability to edit or create new 2 way sync objects/transactions in either Key CashFlow or the accounting software is still available. For example: Were you to edit a vendor in both Key CashFlow and the accounting software (without running a sync in between) and the changes conflict with each other, the master would override the updates made in the other system.